Thursday, April 17, 2014

When God says "Go"

UPDATE:  We're so excited about how God has provided for this trip!!  As of June 1st, Sarah is only $60 away from her goal, and I am about $400 away.  Thanks to all of you who are partnering with us!

This Spring we've been studying the book of Acts with our college students with the theme: Do Big Things.   We've been challenging them to all kinds of things - talk to their roommates about spiritual things, fast from food for a day, fast from excess and consumption and give the money they save away....and we also challenged them to go on one of the CSF Mission Trips.

As I stood in front of them and pitched our Spring Break and Summer mission trips, I challenged them to ask God the question, "Is there any reason why I shouldn't go?"   I think we often do the opposite and expect God to give us a big sign if we should do something, even though he's already told us to go in his Word:

"Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20

God's given me an opportunity to lead a team of students on a trip to Lima, Peru this summer to work with a youth ministry, teach in the public schools, support the local church, and help encourage a new college ministry there.  We'll be working with native Peruvian missionaries and partnering with New Mission Systems, International.   I'm so excited to be able to share what we know about campus ministry with these young students and youth workers, and learn from what they're already doing.   In addition, our oldest daughter, Sarah, will be joining us on the trip.

Quite honestly, I can think of a long list of reasons why I shouldn't go - the biggest of which is that there is no money in our budget for a trip like this.   But we know that isn't a big deal to God!  We will spend 9 days in Peru (July 5-14) and the cost is $1,600.    I know God's called us to Do Big Things, and trusting him to provide this money for both Sarah and I is a BIG THING!

Please pray for us as we prepare for this trip.  Pray for our team of college students, for the ministry in Lima, for the funds to be raised quickly (plane tickets must be purchased in just a matter of days!), and that disciples would be made in all nations.

If you would like to give financially to the trip, you can do that directly through the NMSI website and search for my name.   Or you can write a check with "Peru - Gretchen Magruder" in the memo line and send it to: 
NMSI
2701 CLEVELAND AVE SUITE 200
FORT MYERS, FL 33901

Thanks for partnering with us to DO BIG THINGS!!





No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...